Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
Government of India has introduced the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme for survival, protection & education of the girl child. It aims to address the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) through a mass campaign across the country targeted at changing societal mindsets & creating awareness about the criticality of the issue. The Scheme will have focused intervention & multi-sectoral action in 100 districts with low Child Sex Ratio.
According to census data, the child sex Ratio (0-6 years) in India was 927 girls per 1,000 boys in 2001, which dropped drastically to 918 girls for every 1,000 boys in 2011. A 2012 UNICEF report has ranked India 41st among 195 countries.
“Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao” scheme is a joint initiative of Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Prevent gender biased sex selective elimination.
- Ensure survival & protection of the girl child.
- Ensure education of the girl child.
- Implement a sustained Social Mobilization and Communication Campaign to create equal value for the girl child & promote her education.
- Place the issue of decline in CSR/SRB in public discourse, improvement of which would be a indicator for good governance.
- Focus on Gender Critical Districts and Cities low on CSR for intensive & integrated action.
- Mobilize & Train Panchayati Raj Institutions/Urban local bodies/ Grassroot workers as catalysts for social change, in partnership with local community/women’s/youth groups.
- Ensure service delivery structures/schemes & programmes are sufficiently responsive to issues of gender and children’s rights.
- Enable Inter-sectoral and inter-institutional convergence at District/Block/Grassroot levels
Criteria for Selection:
The criteria/norms for selection/identification of 100 districts under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao program are as under:-
- 87 Districts have been selected from 23 States/UTs having Child Sex Ratio below the National average of 918.
- 8 Districts have been selected from 8 States/UTs having Child Sex Ratio above National average of 918 but showing declining trend
- 5 Districts have been selected from 5 States/UTs having Child Sex Ratio above National average of 918 and showing improving trend so that other parts of country can learn from them.
The Sectoral interventions under the programme include the following:
- Ministry of WCD: Promote registration of pregnancies in first trimester in Anganwadi Centres (AWCs); Undertake Training of stakeholders; Community Mobilization & Sensitization; Involvement of Gender Champions; Reward & recognition of institutions & frontline workers.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare: Monitor implementation of Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCP&DT)Act, 1994; Increased institutional deliveries; Registration of births; Strengthening PNDT Cells; Setting up Monitoring Committees.
- Ministry of Human Resource Development: Universal enrollment of girls; Decreased drop-out rate; Girl Child friendly standards in schools; Strict implementation of Right to Education (RTE); Construction of Functional Toilets for girls.
Two schemes, to improve child sex-ratio (present 918/1000)
- Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP)
- Sukanya Samriddhi account (girl child prosperity scheme) – it is a sub-component of BBBP
CSR of JK 862 (2011) from 941 (2001)
Article by AZAD BUKHARI
Ignited Minds Be the Change…