President Ram Nath Kovind recently presented the Pt Ramnarayan Sharma National Ayurved Award instituted by Baidyanath founder for the years 2008-2014 to seven eminent Ayurvedic scholars at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Vivekanand Pandey from New Delhi, (Late) Ramchandra Ballal Gogte from Pune, Jaiprakash Narayn from Bengaluru, G P Dube and Krushnachand Chunekar from Varanasi, Siddhinandan Mishra from Ranchi and Banwarilal Gaur from Jaipur are the recipients of the awards.
- The President said that Ayurveda is a holistic medical system for healthy living. It takes an integrated approach to the physical, mental, spiritual and social aspects of the human body, and their inter-linkages.
- He said 90% of the country’s medicinal plants and herbs are obtained from forests, and that people should be sensitive to the protection of medicinal plants and herbs.
- The Pt Ramnarayan Sharma National Award was instituted by the Ramnarayan Vaidya Ayurved Research Trust in 1982.
- It honours an eminent Ayurvedic scholar every year. The Award consists of a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh, a silver idol of Lord Dhanwantari and a citation.