The National Human Rights Commission will be organizing a function in Delhi to mark Human Rights Day on the December 10, 2017. The Vice President of India,
Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu will address the gathering as the Chief Guest on the occasion. Chairperson, NHRC and former Chief Justice of India, Justice H. L. Dattu, will also address the gathering.
- Human Rights Day is celebrated on the 10th December every year to commemorate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), which was adopted and proclaimed by the General Assembly of the United Nations in 1948 as the shared standard yardstick to protect human rights across the globe.
- The National Human Rights Commission, India has organised different events, including a nationwide Short Films on Human Rights Award competition, in run up to the celebration of Human Rights Day.
- The three best short films on human rights, will be given awards of Rs. 1 lakh, Rs. 75 thousand and Rs. 50 thousand along with trophies and citations on the occasion. Some NHRC publications will also be released.
- Besides, this the prize winning paintings by children will be displayed at an exhibition at the venue of the function, which will also be showcasing the journey of the Commission through photographs of its various events and activities towards protection and promotion of human rights since the last Human Rights Day.
- During the last 24 years, since its inception on the 12th October, 1993, the Commission has endeavored to promote a culture of human rights. The NHRC, like most of the human rights institutions in the world, is a recommendatory body as per the Protection of Human Rights Act passed by Parliament.